Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Just because you asked!!!!

Okay, here it is....... an actual, real, honest-to-goodness post from me! Where has Perky's perspective been focused lately???? Well, for starters (in no particular order).......


* Passover. I love this holiday. Really, I do! It's just that it's a lot of work. A LOT. And I'm not even really observant! We didn't even hold a seder at home this year, so I don't know why I'm complaining. We went to a friend's house for the first seder and had a very nice time. Then, I co-coordinated a Community Seder at my synagogue for the second night, which was a lot of work, but very rewarding! Now, for the rest of the week, I'm just trying to stay on top of the minimal dietary requirements I observe during this holiday. I don't keep Kosher in general, but I do try to observe Passover by not eating any Chametz (items made from wheat and such that are not a product of Matzo). By this point in the week, I'm getting just a little tired of packing full lunches and snacks for me and the boys every day. Since all the cafeteria lunches and school snacks are off limits this week, I have to be sure to give the boys lots of choices so they have something yummy to eat at each point during the day.

* Spring. Loving it!!!! I don't mind winter, but I love me some spring weather! I feel so much more energetic already! My flowers are blooming and I even have a bouquet of purple Money Plant flowers on my desk that I picked from my front yard this morning. Love it!

* The Election. I'm glad the primary is over, but I don't think it got us any closer to resolution. For years, I've been waiting for a candidate that I can get excited about and now I've got two of them, which of course, keeps me from getting overly excited about either one. It's not fair!

* CutiePie. Since the beginning of the year, we've been focusing on what is going on with CutiePie. He started having serious problems in kindergarten last fall and they didn't get better with time. Everyone around us started throwing around "ADHD" so we got a referral for the local children's hospital's ADHD clinic and started our paperwork. We submitted it in January and got ready to wait. And wait. And wait. And we did. And have. In the meantime, we contacted the developmental pediatrician who saw him when he first got here. She wasn't ready to diagnose ADHD, but rather, she was seeing developmental issues. So, she sent us to a developmental optometrist. Apparently, CutiePie sees clearly, but is having a hard time tracking with both eyes together and cannot hold focus as he moves his eyes. This may be a large part of what is making classwork hard and then he responds to the pressure by acting goofy. Interesting. So now, CutiePie is sporting some oh-so-fashionable frames and the glasses are supposed to help train his eyes. He also goes to vision therapy for an hour each week. We expect this to go on for about a year. In the meantime, he's also been seen by an allergist who prescribed meds to help him breathe better, which may help him sleep better, which may help him focus better during the day. Sounds good. And then we'll be starting to see an occupational therapist soon to help him with some eye-hand coordination stuff. Which seems odd because this kid has GREAT eye-hand coordination, so maybe I just didn't fully understand what they're going to work on.

After all that, of course, the ADHD clinic calls to schedule an appointment. Which naturally isn't until the day before school ends!!!!! Great timing, guys! That's really helpful! Anyway, at least by the time we see them, we'll be able to say if any of this other stuff has been helpful at all.

HandsomeBoy? He's fine.

* My company. We recently moved from our original location to a great new location. I'm so much happier here! My office space is great (relatively speaking), the neighborhood is fantastic and everything just seems so much better! Of course, with the new network, I'm unable to log in from home right now, so I've had to actually DRIVE IN TO WORK each day!!! What's with that? It's so 90's!!!!! Just kidding! But I do miss the ability to work from home. I should be set up to do it again next week and I'll be a very happy camper when that happens!

* Israel trip. Didn't happen. I was all set to go and finally getting REALLY excited about it. That's when RockStar realized I was really serious about it and he freaked out. Totally freaked out. Not because I was going away. Not because I was leaving him with the kids for 10 days. Not because it's not fair that I was going to spend money that we didn't have to go on a vacation I shouldn't be taking. No -- he freaked out because he was worried for my safety. He was certain that if I went, I'd be a terrorism statistic within 48 hours. I totally disagreed and tried to explain to him that I've been before, even when the situation was worse, and I felt completely safe the entire time. He wouldn't listen. After two days of this, I had to choose -- really great awesome trip to Israel or my marriage. Yeah, I chose RockStar. There'll be other trips. I'm still disappointed, but it's nice to know that he loves me enough to freak out over the (slim) chance of losing me!

* Money. This year is the year I get our finances in shape. Yeah, I know I've said that before, but I mean it this time. And I've been doing great. I'll blog more about this topic separately (really - I will! I promise!), but I'm proud of myself for the changes I've been making in our budget (wow - did I really use the "b" word????) and priorities. We have a whole bunch of debt that we shouldn't have and I'm going to put a huge dent in it this year!

* Me. I'm doing well, thankyouverymuch. I have a whole post brewing over my goals for this year. Before you remind me that we're already nearly a third of the way through the year, let me say that I've actually been working on and achieving many of my goals, so I'm off to a pretty good start!

* You. By "you" I mean of course the bloggyworld and my bloggyfriends. Even though I don't post much (uh, at all lately), I faithfully read your blogs and can't wait to hear what everyone is up to. I really look forward to each post. I find it hard to believe that anyone feels that way about my blog, but I'll pretend it's true and try to treat you to a little of my Perspective more often. Deal?????

3 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

Whew! Now THAT'S an update! Thanks!

Glad to hear that some things are being resolved with Cutie Pie.

Happy said...

Deal! I was starting to wonder. You haven't been around much at all...even in the local FL group.

2Forgetful said...

It's a deal!

Wow, that was quite an update. ditto your thoughts on spring and the election. Glad to hear that things are starting to come together for CutiePie. (And, of course, happy to hear that Handsomeboy is fine!) Sorry to hear about the Isreal trip but you obviously made a good choice. Yay budgets! Yay you! :-)