Tuesday, May 19, 2009

CSA - Community Supported Agriculture or Creates a Serious Appetite????

This is my second year as a site host for a local CSA and I'm LOVING it again!

We're on the third delivery week now and my fridge has been full of beautiful produce such as radishes, strawberries, rhubarb, scallions, mizuna, romaine, baby lettuces, collards, and asparagus. I've searched through my own recipe books and Googled and AllReciped in order to transform these into delicious salads, tangy radish-top soup, Asparagus and Scallop Risotto, Southern Braised Collards, Rhubarb Pie, Rhubarb Crisp, Rhubarb Sauce (served over ice cream, of course!) and Spring Vegetable & Turkey fried rice.

Can you tell I'm in love?

We eat pretty well during the winter, but I can already see a massive change in our diets now that spring and the CSA is here! I look forward to each Monday's delivery like it's my birthday! Each week, we receive the most amazing gifts of fresh food and we enjoy it all week long!

Next week, I'll have to wait until Wednesday to get our delivery since Monday is Memorial Day. I'm really going to miss it on Monday and Tuesday!!!!

If you've joined a CSA, great! If you haven't, please visit your local farmers market as soon as you can. Even if you only buy one thing, the visit should inspire you to try new foods and/or new recipes and incorporate more fresh produce into your diet.

1 comment:

Anjali said...

I must get to the Farmer's Market I just found... Thanks for the reminder!